Heartland Theatre as of May 22, 2018, has a new listening system for the hearing impaired, made possible by a Mirza Arts and Culture Grant from the Illinois Prairie Community Foundation and generous Heartland donors.
The system works by way of tiny sensitive microphones over the stage that feed sound into a mixer that “talks” to radio frequency receivers, providing sound throughout the theatre space. Patrons will be able to hear low speaking and speaking by actors with their back turned to the audience. Each user with a Listen Technologies receiver is able to adjust his/her unit to the right sound level for them.
When making your reservation, let us know you would like to try our technology.
PRESS RELEASE 2018 Assistive Listening (submitted by Illinois Prairie Community Foundation)
Before you come to the theatre:
When you come, tell an usher you need the Assistive Listening system to hear better. You will check out a receiver and one or two components that work with it, depending on the type of hearing aid you have or if you don’t have a hearing aid at all.
FOR USERS OF THE LISTEN TECHNOLOGIES RECEIVERS
- WHAT TYPE OF HEARING IS THE USER:
- HEARING AID (NOT T-COIL)?
- HARD OF HEARING (NO HEARING AID)
- CHECK OUT RECEIVER & PARTS: USER SIGNS NAME AND PHONE NUMBER WITH NUMBER ON RECEIVER.
- HOOK UP:
- T-COIL = RECEIVER + NECK LOOP
- OTHER HEARING AID = RECEIVER + NECK LOOP + EAR PIECE
- HARD OF HEARING = RECEIVER + NECK LOOP + EAR PIECE
RE: EARPIECE. EARBUDS MAY WORK BETTER. USER IS ENCOURAGED TO BRING OWN EARBUDS NEXT TIME TO TRY. EARPIECE CAN BE UNCOMFORTABLE OR NOT FIT EAR.
- MAKE SURE VOLUME IS LOW!
- POWER = PRESS AND HOLD THE POWER BUTTON FOR 1 SECOND (TO TURN OFF, PRESS AND HOLD POWER BUTTON FOR 3 SECONDS)
- CHANNEL SELECT = SHOULD AUTOMATICALLY SELECT CHANNEL “E”
- USER ADJUSTS AMOUNT OF SOUND UP OR DOWN ON FRONT OF RECEIVER. USUALLY 35% IS HIGH ENOUGH. NO HIGHER THAN 50%.
- AFTER PERFORMANCE, USER TURNS IN RECEIVER AND PARTS, AND NAME IS CHECKED OFF LIST. RECEIVER BACK IN CHARGER. CHARGER ON SHELF AND PLUGGED BACK IN.